Notes on phenology and cultivation in cold temperate climates
Gustavo Iglesias Trabado
GIT Forestry Consulting - Consultoría y Servicios de Ingeniería Agroforestal - www.git-forestry.com - EUCALYPTOLOGICS
The pictured tree is the first of its kind successfully grown and acclimatised in Galicia (Northwestern Spain). And hopefully, the first of many to grow in the near future. For a description of the climatic types well endured by this species, just check our previous post "Spinning Gum, cold hardy Eucalyptus from Alpine Australia. Notes on phenology and cultivation in cold temperate climates".
Phenologic notes on E. perriniana in Galicia
- Flower bud initiation: May/June (late spring, early summer)
- Flower bud maturity: +10 /+12 months (late spring, summer)
- Flowering period: May/August (summer, peak in July)
- Seed pod maturity: +20 /+25 months since flower bud initiation
- Simultaneous reproductive cycles: 1 cycle of immature flower buds + 1 cycle of seed pods in maturation + 1 cycle of ripe or senescent seed pods can be present at once in the same specimen
We have previously seen how Eucalyptus can thrive in the high latitudes of the Scandinavian countries by depicting the Northernmost cultivated Eucalyptus in the world, growing at latitude 61º N in the grounds of Haakon Vangsnes' Nautesund Planteslag.
Spinning Gum: cold hardy Eucalyptus from Alpine Australia