On a more local level, a National Register of Big Trees in Australia has recently been established by Derek McIntosh of Sydney (see http://nationalregisterofbigtrees.com.au/). While this web-based database aims to document ‘big’ rather than just tall trees, many of Australia’s tallest trees can be found listed on the database. With the aid of the laser hypsometer that Derek has kindly lent me, I have nominated and measured many big and tall trees; however, as the project is in its infancy, there is still a paucity of data in many regions and for many species. In particular, there are very few data on tall trees in Queensland and the Northern Territory.
King Regnans: Sir David Attenborough's Giant Eucalyptus (video courtesy of BBC)
- The Karri Knight: Tallest Tree in Europe?
- Eucalyptus globulus: Giant Heritage Trees
- Eucalyptus Giants: The Fat Guys at Both Sides of the World
- Giant Karri Eucalyptus discovered in California
- Grandpa, the Giant Eucalyptus... in video (video)
- King Regnans: Attenborough's Eucalyptus Giants (video)
- Giant Trees: Eucalyptus & friends (video)
- Eucalyptus: coastal rainforests in Galicia (Spain)