GIT Forestry Consulting - Consultoría y Servicios de Ingeniería Agroforestal- www.git-forestry.com - EUCALYPTOLOGICS
- Roughly one third of total stormwood volume is relatively localised around the coastal town of Viveiro, in Northern Lugo province, which becomes "Ground Zero". Even here, damage is scattered at basin level, and also within management units.
- Scattered damage means timber extraction has become a slow and dangerous process involving considerably higher costs than usual per salvaged ton, making the less accessible areas difficult to tidy up without incurring on operational losses.
- Galician authorities have asigned a relief fund for an amount of 7 million € to help cover these extraordinary harvest and haulage costs and to establish temporary wood yards able to stockpile stormwood for a gradual supply to wood industries.
- Total stormwood volumes are lower than the total combined regional forestry industry processing capacity, however current wood products market situation (global crisis) implies low sales for certain processing chains, impacting wood demand negatively and forcing a slowly gradual use of this unexpected wood supply by industry.
- Opportunities for timber exports may arise, especially for sensible sized woodlots easily stored near or at export facilities. One third of total stormwood volume is high quality E. globulus pulpwood logs fallen close to several local ports.