Gustavo Iglesias Trabado
GIT Forestry Consulting - Consultoría y Servicios de Ingeniería Agroforestal - www.git-forestry.com - EUCALYPTOLOGICS
By 1866 in the neighbourhood of Coimbra (Portugal) the first cultivated forests of Eucalyptus in Iberia were established with the planting of thirty five thousand trees besides the Mondego river and at Mata de Choupal. It was an attempt to tame the stream and control devastating soil erosion caused by floods. Until then, the Australian trees were botanical rarities and relatively uncommon even as ornamental plants in public and private gardens. It was also a long time before they became a paramount timber crop for Northwestern Iberia, but this protective afforestation can be considered the beginning of such an era.
In the neighbourhood of Coimbra stands today an eucalypt tree that witnessed those times and that has grown straight and tall from the bottom of a foggy deep gorge in search of light to become the tallest Eucalyptus in Europe. It is the Karri Knight, an Eucalyptus diversicolor from Western Australia.
Several of these trees are special. But tradition marks one of them, O Avó de Chavín (The Grandfather) as the main shrine of this magical place. Towering at 67 meters above that forest floor and with a perimeter at the base of more than 10 meters, Grandpa receives the hugs of countless visitors. In groups of seven!
- Cold hardy Eucalyptus timber production in Galicia (I)
- Eucalyptus Highland Forests in Northwestern Spain and Portugal (II)
- Eucalyptus globulus. Blue Gum Eucalypt Coastal Forests in Northwestern Iberia
- Eucalyptus nitens. Shining Gum Eucalypt Highland Forests in Northwestern Iberia
- Eucalyptus macarthurii. Camden Woollybutt Highland Forests in Northwestern Iberia
- Eucalyptus delegatensis. Tasmanian Oak Highland Forests in Northwestern Iberia
- Eucalyptus dalrympleana. Mountain White Gum Highland Forests in Northwestern Iberia
Have you seen the Giant Eucalyptus Movie?
Subscribe to receive EUCALYPTOLOGICS via e-mail